Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pause and Play

Atlanta Motor Speedway-Blast
New Orleans-Blast
Chick-Fil-a-Fun
Destin- Blast of what I remember.

Sitting in church today the first scripture was Ephesians 5:15-18
"Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead be filled with the spirit."
When I read this I literally started laughing out loud in church because I knew it was right there for me. I thought, man, if this isn't a wake up call I don't know what is... Because at the YoungLife leadership overnight Heath was talking about being serious and living for Christ not putting on a face for highschool kids. That hit me a little and I said "nah, not me." Then later on at the Gathering about two weeks later it was almost the same message and i told Scalf about it and he said "maybe God is trying to tell you something..."
But this morning it all hit me after thinking about that, after Mikey B talking about lukewarm Christians, after talking to Jake Luna on the beach about drinking and getting drunk... but, its not just legalistic b/s it's about what are you going to do instead. Pause or Play? You can be a Christian that does nothing other than put life in Christ in pause. Then start living for the old sin nature we had before we had Christ. We can still be Christians living for things of the past that have absolutely no value. But what is the point in that?

Romans 14:7-8 "For none of us live to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, Whether we live or die, we BELONG to the Lord. "
Psalm 24:1 "The earth is the Lord's, and EVERYTHING in it."
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

When we pause we're putting off, ignoring or not giving attention to God's will.
We're saying, "Hey God, I know you may have some plans for me, but, ugh, mine are a little better, I can trust my plans easier."

But, what are we going to do? take God's will or follow our own and put our life's on pause?

We often put our own life's as so much more important than others or anything else.

I've been realizing lately how much of scum I am. I am nothing, I'm trash on my own. I still am even when compared to others. Which i have found to be a very dangerous thing to do. "Well, at least I didn't do that..." Then I look at myself and say whooaaa, how did I get here? But, that is the Beauty of the Gospel, I suck but Jesus doesn't as Auto-bot said.

The real thing is though, am I going to put my life in play or keep it on pause where its fun, and comfortably numb. But, what is the point in putting my life in pause? It actually sucks because I know there is so much more. The life living in Christ in play is so much better. It gives me purpose, it gives me reason and hope. In pause I got nothing other than the foundation in Christ, I'm withering away more or less. What is the point? When I have something so rich in me. Something that is incredible and amazing. If I have something so great, why wouldn't I share it? Why wouldn't I enjoy it? Why wouldn't I make the most of it?

Jim Elliot said "I seek not a long life, but a full one, like you, Lord Jesus." Elliot died as a missionary to a native tribe. John Piper says the real Tragedy is treasuring life above Christ. Not that someone dies doing God's will.

This hits me hard to because I think to myself all of these life goals and wants that I have. But, that is the tragedy that I have a hard time just wanting that life with Christ doing his will. I want to be able to forget all my wants and ambitions and go for what He wants me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment